Out of the past – Sidney Daily News
August 31, 1897
Kindergarten Club members and a few friends traveled to Port Jefferson yesterday afternoon on the club’s new boat.
Bums entered the cellars of the homes of AL Marshall and WR Wyman on North Ohio Avenue last night and took away lots of canned fruit and foodstuffs.
IH Thedieck and his son, Frank, are leaving tonight for Buffalo, NY, where Frank will attend Canisius College.
August 31, 1922
The names of a number of local people who will take part in the pageant which will be presented three nights at the Shelby County Fair have been announced. These include: Max Carey, Miss Jessie Ayers Wilson, Earl Nutt, Miss Clara Kramer, Mr and Mrs Stanley Young, Mr and Mrs Walter Blake, Catherine Carey, Miss Ella Neal, Miss Hulda Kramer, Mr and Mrs. Harry Forsythe, and Mr. and Mrs. Roy Fry.
Members of the Piqua Law and Order committee are looking for ways to bring the Sunday Law enforcement issue to the Supreme Court. The city ministers base their confidence on the decisions of the courts of appeal which ruled that animated images are theatrical and dramatic representations, prohibited by law. A city jury recently returned a verdict finding the manager of a theater was not guilty of showing a moving picture on Sunday.
75 years old
August 31, 1947
The 43-voice Shelby County Grange Choir, unique among rural musical organizations in the state, performed a group of numbers under the direction of Mrs. Charles Collier in the music hall at the Ohio State Fair last night. Appearing on the same program was a local quartet known as the “Clodhoppers”, which included Hugh Worthington, Marvin Apple, Roger Watkins and Charles Collier among its members.
The appeal to the public to help improve the county home for elderly and infirm residents is being answered by a number of individual citizens as well as organizations. Today, from individuals, the committee reported receiving two contributions of $200 each to equip hospital rooms.
A two cent per liter milk price advance, effective Monday, was announced today by local milk distributors. The advance will raise the price of milk to 20 cents per litre.
August 31, 1972
PIQUA – The State Memorial in the Piqua Historic Area, State Route 66 immediately north of this Miami County city, will be dedicated and opened in ceremonies to be held at 2 p.m. Sunday. The 174-acre area, one of Ohio’s most historic locations, is comprised of three major aspects: the restored Col. John Johnston Indian Agency and Farm, a restored segment of the Miami and Erie Canal with reproduction, a full-scale houseboat afloat and a historic Indian museum to be opened later in the fall.
Two buildings on North Street, owned by C & J Investment Co., Sidney, are being demolished to make way for a rental parking area for Ohio Building employees. C&J, whose principals are EJ Garmhausen and Charles Manchester, recently purchased the land from Sidney-Shelby Realty Co. Over the years the buildings have been used for storage, retail outlets and, for a some time, a laundromat.
August 31, 1997
Two new board members have been endorsed by Shelby County United Way. They are Ken Monnier, product manager for the Scroll division of Copeland Corporation and Greg Martin, president of Kirk Nationalease.
The Institute of Certified Fund Specialists recently awarded Cindy Helman of the Money Concepts Financial Planning Center in Sidney the only nationally recognized mutual fund designation, CFS (Certified Fund Specialist). There are several hundred thousand people licensed to sell mutual funds and annuities; less than one percent have earned the CFS designation.
This news from back issues of the Sidney Daily News is compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org