This Week in Nebraska History | Torn right

1872: The yield from an artesian well demonstrated that Lincoln had a seemingly inexhaustible supply of salt water. This left the question: could fresh water be obtained in the same way?

1882: Lincoln’s gambling dens have been the subject of complaints.

1892: The Lincoln Electric Railroad was sold by the sheriff due to foreclosure. Later it was consolidated with the Lincoln Street Railway Co.

1902: The flood was over, but Park School and the courthouse were full of refugees from the Salt Creek rampage.

1912: The Tabernacle Christian Church at 1701 South Street was dedicated. The congregation would later move to a larger site at 22nd and South Streets and take the name Southview Christian Church.

1922: The Burlington was preparing to house and feed 250 new men in the Havelock Shops to replace the strikers. Nationally, railroad leaders have refused to meet with leaders of striking traders.

People also read…

1932: Lincoln nutrition camp has opened. Sponsored by the Lincoln and Lancaster county committees of the Nebraska Tuberculosis Association, its goal was to develop undernourished children.

1942: An aircraft mechanics school opened at Lincoln Air Force Base to train Air Force personnel in the maintenance of combat aircraft during World War II.

1952: The fifth annual summer opera at the Pinewood Bowl was “Naughty Marietta”. The direction was Professor Oscar Bennett of Nebraska Wesleyan University.

1962: An Alda woman was killed by lightning, and a house in Lincoln was badly damaged when lightning set it on fire.

A manhunt has begun near Blair after State Security Patrolman Lowell Korber was shot twice by a man he had stopped to question the presence of a sign stop. The manhunt ended four days later with the arrest in Omaha of Philip Delham. Delham was sentenced to 20 years in prison for the shooting. Korber recovered and returned to work on August 3.

1972: The rains, estimated at 6 to 8 inches in some localities, caused severe flooding in the Red Cloud, Osceola, Stromsburg and McCool Junction areas.

The pool at Lincoln’s Woods Park hosted the Amateur Athletic Union National Diving Championship.

1982: Ten of Otoe’s 16 volunteer firefighters quit because the village council rejected their request to sponsor a beer garden during the town’s centenary celebration.

Union, Cass County recorded 5½ inches of rain overnight.

The Nebraska Department on Aging was created by the Legislative Assembly.

1992: The toxic chemicals TNT and RDX, which were used to make bombs at the former Nebraska munitions factory, were found in small quantities in one of Lincoln’s water wells near Ashland. It was the first time the chemicals had been discovered in the wellfield and both were below health advisory levels.

2002: Housing developments and farm consolidations around Lincoln led to the closure of a local farm implement dealership that had been open since 1996 in Waverly.

Comments are closed.