What did the district of Coopersburg look like in 1922?


East. Reading time: 2 minutes

A century ago, in a special full-page illustrated story published on November 5, 1922, Allentown’s morning call proclaimed Coopersburg “the city of possibilities”. But 100 years earlier it was not known as Coopersburg and was little more than a “country village”.

Coopersburg was originally known as Fryburg, and was named after an early 19th-century hotel owner named Joseph Fry Jr., who the article said also owned a distillery .

It was not until 1832 that the village of Fryburg was renamed “Coopersburg” in honor of Peter Cooper; a descendant of the first settler Daniel Cooper, who arrived in the area around the time the American Revolution began.

The 1922 article presents this period in Coopersburg’s history as follows (see full article below):

Around the year 1775 Daniel Cooper, born in Dillenberg near Amsterdam in 1752, settled there and in 1800 bought a plot of land from the Bachmans and erected the house now occupied by Dr JA Laros. Soon after, he bought the hotel, along with another leaflet. He served several times as a justice of the peace, died in 1822 and was buried at the old meeting house. Some of his descendants have resided here ever since. His son Peter, who was born in 1791, lived here from his birth until his death in 1837. He built the present Eagle Hotel in 1829, the store now occupied by Amos Haring in 1830, and the house now occupied. by Mrs. Dr. Cooper shortly thereafter; he was repeatedly elected a justice of the peace, had a reputation as a remarkably reliable legal advisor to a layman; was an accurate transporter and expert surveyor and served for some time as the Pennsylvania deputy surveyor general. He had three sons, Milton, Charles and Thomas, and a daughter. Mathilde became the wife of Dr Frederick A. Martin.

During the century that spanned the years 1822 to 1922, the Cooper family grew to have a remarkable impact on the town that still bears the family name, perhaps most notably with TS Cooper, a well-known cattle dealer. under the name of “the king of the cattle of Jersey”. “

>> Support the local news you enjoy. Become a Saucon Source member today!

The Coopersburg Historical Society maintains an extensive collection of documents related to Coopers as well as the history of the borough, and recently opened an exhibition on the companies that have helped make Coopersburg what it is today. The exhibition is located inside the district of Coopersburg and can be visited by appointment.

The good old times is a Saucon Source column on the unique history of the regions we cover.


Comments are closed.